ICUJP is looking for a justice and peace intern for 2012 for 10 hours a week. The intern will work with the Program Director on a variety of justice and peace issues but will be primarily focused on outreach to youth within the interfaith community.
Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace (ICUJP), grounded in many faith traditions, and honoring prophetic perspectives of non-violence, promotes critical examination of the costs of violence at home and around the world. ICUJP members are spiritual and secular leaders and activists urgently committed to building a progressive interfaith movement devoted to actions that advance the causes of justice and peace.
ICUJP stands in solidarity with the victims of war, discrimination and injustice on a broad range of issues including the wars and occupations in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere, torture, immigration, civil liberties, human rights, racism, and health care. ICUJP conducts in-depth self-education, hosts educational programs for the broader public, supports and encourages faith leaders to uphold their denominations’ peacemaking principles, and participates in other coalitions in the struggle for justice and peace.
- Recent graduate from university or college or currently enrolled in school. Must be available for 10 hours a week
- Strongly committed to peace and justice issues
- Come from within a faith tradition and have a sensitivity to interfaith relations and/or a desire to learn about this
- Flexible and willing to work as a team player
- Ability to use the internet and facility with social media
- Relational and have the ability to communicate well
- Ability to speak Spanish desired but not required
Commitments and Responsibilities:
- Engage in interfaith relations and dialogue around alternatives to war and violence and the responsibility of faith communities to speak truth to power;
- Encourage youth activists in faith communities to confront issues of bias, intolerance and racism, such as Islamophobia and anti-Semitism;
- Research, develop and create original youth targeted materials and media presentations;
- Make contact with youth organizations, create and maintain databases, and present these materials to local religious youth groups;
- Develop and moderate an appropriate social media presence for this project.
Stipend: $500/month (2 month probationary period)
Email Andy Griggs at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
ICUJP office address: 817 W. 34th Street | Los Angeles, CA 90089 | tel. 213-748-1643